3.24.2010

Homebrew CNC















There are lots of resources on the web, of almost anything you would expect and CNC is one of them. I decided to build a CNC router briefly after the realization of the distance to its hefty price tag.


The major drawback of building it was, since I graduated and had no access to any of the shops nor other facilities in school that I needed to build it strictly homemade. Although I made a purchase of a bench top drill press, it was the only purchase of a new tool, not including a couple of new drillbits.


















Designing my own version was not too hard after all the reading and planning of other people's CNCs. I had built a good understanding of how it should be moving and stabilized. Yet there is a good amount of room for improvements, I am not unsatisfied of the outcome since it does a decent job for a home built CNC which could have been worse or even a failure for who has little or no background of mechanical engineering(myself).


Planning and designing had started in March 2009 and in September 2009 finally it was finished. Lack of power tools and work space(it was literally built in and around of my bedroom) was the major reason for the 5-6 month long work time, other than that it was planning, assembling and ordering(and waiting) of parts from many different places.

















24.5" x 24.5" x 1.5"(Z-axis) work area, and the main frame is made out of Baltic Birch Plywood and MDF.


Running Rhinocam for G-code, and Mach2 for operation.




First commercial job was done for Roula Architects in Chicago in December 2009.

Budget oriented CNC cutting available.

No comments: